SOLAS is on the charm offensive this weekend, hosting an open house with more than 50 journalists invited to sample the food and atmosphere of the food court and farmer’s market. David Maher, co-owner of SOLAS, explains: “Now that we have put the finishing touches to SOLAS, we want to have as wide a national coverage as possible. We have that in mind as we have invited all the leading national journalists on news, food, tourism and the environment to SOLAS this weekend to see what we have built, taste the food and relax. for a few hours. Last weekend we were visited by “Sunday World” and received rave reviews. We really believe in what we’ve built and just want the world to know how good we are. So now it’s about rolling out the red carpet and putting SOLAS on the national map.
SOLAS Events and News
- There is now free WIFI in the SOLAS Food Court and Farmers Market which is run from a 400mb fiber connection.
- Events at SOLAS during the week include:
- Monthly meeting of the Laois Chamber of Commerce (Thursday)
- Circular Economy Academy Workshop (Thursday)
- We have now both completed our ‘Wonder Wall’ mural and a series of downlights to allow SOLAS to look its best even when the sun goes down
- The French Embassy has confirmed its presence on Saturday July 16 for the official unveiling of the new fresco. Many thanks to local TD Cathal Berry who was instrumental in achieving this goal.
Featured this week are
- Chicken Satay Salad
- Cajun Chicken Chimichanga
Weekly farmer’s market
- This Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. will see the full range of bakery, fresh meat, fish and organic beef. As always, the market focuses on fresh, local and organic produce
Monthly craft market
This Sunday 3rd July from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. will offer 29 craft stalls (sold out) including
- Recycled Jewelery from ‘Noble-McG Creations’
- Beautiful pearl jewelry
- Wonderful Jewelry
- Fleur & Mini with a range of cards, gifts and enamel mugs
- Nuevosol Designs Hand Sculpted Gifts Captured in Clay
- Michelle McLoughlin’s range of handbags and tableware
- More than 200 different types of Belgian artisanal chocolates
- Eimear Coffey and his fabulous range of cakes and brioches
- Artist Marie Slevin
- Photographer Dan O’Neill
- A range of woodworking, perfumes, pottery, hats, macrame, knitting and fashion
SOLAS – Plants
This week focus on our range of Roses ideal for perfuming and beauty to your garden. Available in a range of different available hybrid, floribunda and climbing tea varieties. Our team of horticulturalists will be on site as always this weekend.
SOLAS – Shop
Our featured shop product just arrived this week – we’re excited to offer a new peat-free compost to our composts. Peat in horticultural compost should be completely eliminated by 2024 and we are getting ahead with this fantastic alternative
- New Leaf Peat Free, multi-use organic compost available in 20L and 40L bags is made from garden waste in Ireland.
- Their factory in Northern Ireland processes over 200,000 tonnes of green organic material collected from homes
- And turn it into this versatile plant compost, ideal for growing fruits, flowers, vegetables and more.
SOLAS weather conditions
The weather this weekend is expected to be mixed and moderately warm. Note that our market and food court are covered!